Coming soon! Sign up for email alerts to be the first to hear about launch dates
Street surveys of roaming dogs and cats can be a quick way to gather data on their density, welfare and reproductive activity; and many other indicators besides. But if making sure you stay on the correct survey route, recording the same information about each animal and keeping your data safe is a challenge – then Talea is your solution.
Talea is a street survey tool comprised of 2 parts:
- Talea web is where you design your survey and access your data
- Talea app is the mobile phone application that you use to record all the animals you see on your survey
Talea is designed to be simple:
- Recording sightings of animals and any number of characteristics relating to each animal.
- Using labelled icons in the app to minimise observer time when recording sightings with characteristics selected with a single tap.
- A background map supports navigation, including colour changes to indicate when observers have strayed ‘off route’, and the option to download map tiles so you can survey offline.
Talea is designed to be flexible:
- Working in Talea web, you can select a template from the library allowing for an ‘off the shelf’ survey or you can amend or create your own template.
- Although the working language for Talea web is English, you can select the Talea app language to suit individual observers.
- Sightings can be recorded with the GPS location of the observer at the time of recording or the observer can indicate on the map with a ‘dropped pin’ the exact position of the animal when it was seen.
- Observers can follow a survey route or work within a polygon that delimits the area to be surveyed.
This solution was developed in partnership with Wise Monkey Solutions, a US-based organisation with the mission to create software, systems, and technology to support NGO that strive for the sustainable health of people, animals, and the environment.